ACC guidelines have been written to assist faculty, staff, and students in performing vertebrate animal procedures in a humane manner and complying with pertinent regulatory requirements.
Under some circumstances, deviations from these procedures may be indicated but such variances must be described and justified in the Animal Protocol and approved in advance by the ACC during the normal review process. Animal Care Committee guidelines documents provide parameters on commonly used procedures and anesthetic agents for use in animal research at UBC. All anesthetic agents used in animals must be listed on an approved Animal Protocol. All anesthetic procedures must be performed by appropriately trained personnel. An exception to a Guideline must be described and justified in the protocol and approved during the normal review process.
Click a link below to download or view a PDF of the relevant guideline.
- Alternate Animal Use Spaces Guidelines (2022)
- Procurement Guideline (2022)
- Guidelines on Monitoring and Medical Records of Animals used for Research, Teaching and Testing (2018)
- Guidelines on Anesthesia of Rodents (2018)
- Guidelines on the Management and Maintenance of Rodent Breeding Colonies (2018)
- Guideline on Rodents with Ulcerated Subcutaneous Tumours (2018)
- Biologicals Guideline
- Guideline on Murine Ulcerative Dermatitis
- Guideline on Rodent Imaging (2014)
- Rodent Anesthesia and Analgesia Formulary and General Drug Information (2016)
- Surgical Class and Analgesia Guidelines (2016 v2)
- Guideline for the use of Prophylactic Antibiotics for Rodent Surgery
- Avertin Update
- UBC Animal Care Guidelines - SOP Surgical Oocyte Collection from Xenopus Laevis
- UBC Facilities Grading System and Response Guide for Rodents (2018)
- UBC Facilities Immediate Care and First Aid for Rodents
- Guideline for Collaborative Studies (2016)
- Guideline on Transfer of Naive Animals (2019)